Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Win/Win Scenerio

On Writing: Someone asked me tonight how I thought I would do in the SYTYCW contest. Do I think I'll make the Top 50? And my answer was...I wasn't stressing because I was in a win-win situation. What I mean by that is it lets me see how people/editors receive my writing. I have a slightly quirky, humorous voice, which isn't for everyone. At all. I get that. I mean, romance plots get tough criticism, but add humor to that? And it's even harder. Humor is sooooo subjective. What I think is funny, many others might not/ or do not. So, it's tricky.

But, I'm pretty new at this, so I'm writing what I want to. What I need to. And then depending on how editors and agents react to that...I can adjust accordingly. It's a learning process. I am definitely learning as I go, and crafting better stories each time. Heck, each draft/revision is better than the first, so it's all good right now. Each contest makes me really consider my first sentence, my first five pages, my first chapter, my conflict, my plausibility. See? Win/win.

Or, as James T. Kirk says in Star Trek, "I don't believe in the no-win scenario."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts! Comment awaiting moderation.